Jeremy has in excess of 25 years of experience practicing in Family law and became an Accredited Family Law Specialist in 1994. He provides legal advice on all aspects of Family Law including divorce, property settlements, parenting arrangements, international child relocation, Hague Convention matters, domestic partnerships (including de facto and same-sex relationships) and binding financial agreements.
Jeremy also specialises in property transactions in the Family Law jurisdiction and as a consequence has particular experience in bankruptcy and creditor protection. Jeremy has extensive experience in mediation, negotiation and litigation of complex property and commercial Family Law matters. He has a particular interest in the relationship between the Corporations Code and the protection of third party interests in the Family Law jurisdiction.
Following extensive amendments to the Family Law Act in July 2006, Jeremy was successful in establishing the Legal Advice Service being the Family Law legal advice component of the Family Relationship Advice Line – an initiative of the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department.
Heavily involved in the general Family Law community, Jeremy takes an active interest in the promotion of greater awareness of Family Law in the community at large, including the practice of Collaborative Law. Jeremy played a key role in chairing the Organising Committee of the 2006 National Family Law Conference.
In November 2010, Jeremy was very proud to be appointed as a member to the Family Law Council by the Commonwealth Attorney-General, Mr Robert McClelland, and served a three-year term on the Council.
The Family Law Council is a statutory authority established under section 115 of the Family Law Act. The functions of the Council, as set out in section 115(3) of the Family Law Act, are to advise and make recommendations to the Attorney-General concerning:
- the workings of the Family Law Act and other legislation relating to Family Law;
- the workings of legal aid in relation to Family Law; and
- any other matters relating to Family Law
The Council is able to provide advice and recommendations either of its own motion or at the request of the Attorney-General.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Complex Family Law property settlements
- Family Law related estate planning
- Insolvency issues related to Family Law disputes
- Binding financial agreements
- Entity-based analysis in Family Law
- International and cross-jurisdictional Family Law
- Hague Convention matters
- Member of Family Law Council since November 2010
- Accredited Family Law Specialist (since 1994)
- Previous Council member Family Law Practitioners Association of Western Australia
- Chair, Organising Committee, 2006 National Family Law Conference, Western Australia
- Managing Director of Legal Advice Service – the Legal Advice Component of the Family Relationship Advice Line
- Director of the Family Law Helpline
- Member of Family Law Section of Law Council of Australia
- Member of Law Society of Western Australia